Single trip vs Annual cover
Breakdown companies will generally give you the option of getting cover either for a single trip or for a full year.
Single trip cover
Instead of paying for whole year, this option enables you to pay for just the time you are away on your trip. This is ideal if you only travel to Europe once or twice a year e.g. on holiday.
However, it's always worth comparing quotes for both single trip and annual cover as they may be a point at which purchasing the annual cover option becomes cheaper.
This option covers you for multiple trips to Europe during the year. However, some providers may cap this to a limit, for example, 90 days. Always check the terms and conditions of the policy.
Which countries are covered?
European breakdown quotes are often based on which countries you will be requiring cover for. These countries will generally be grouped together into zones.
For example, the AA use the following zones:
Zone 1 - This includes France and Germany
Zone 2 - Includes 17 countries, namely:
- Andorra, Austria
- Channel Islands
- Germany, Gibraltar
- Isle of Man, Italy
- Liechtenstein, Luxembourg
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino, Spain (exc. Ceuto & Melilla), Switzerland
- Vatican City
Zone 3 - Includes 37 countries, namely:
- Albania, Andorra, Austria
- Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria
- Channel Islands, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic
- Finland, France
- Germany, Greece
- Isle of Man, Italy
- Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg
- Macedonia, Malta, Monaco, Montenegro
- Netherlands, Norway
- Republic of Ireland, Romania
- San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland
- Turkey in Europe (plus Uskudar)
The premium for your breakdown quote will usually vary depending on which zones you select.
What does European breakdown cover include?
The exact level of cover will depend on your provider. However, the kind of cover examples include:
- Roadside assistance in order to try and fix your vehicle
- A monetary amount to enable you to reach your destination in the event that your vehicle cannot be repaired
- An allowance towards accommodation and hotel costs
- Recovery of your vehicle to a garage
- Financial help with repair costs and parts
What if I breakdown abroad and don't have cover?
It is still possible that you can get instant, one-off cover, after your have broken down abroad. You should contact one of the above providers to arrange a policy. However, the price will likely be higher than it would be with a normal breakdown policy.