Best Breakdown Cover Providers in the UK
Choosing a breakdown cover provider for your car can be frustrating at best. Not only are there numerous breakdown companies but each one offers at least three or four levels of cover, all at different prices.
If that wasn’t confusing enough, providers often change their pricing structure month to month, making it difficult to compare like for like cover and cost between companies.
At PocketRate we’ve done the hard work for you. We’ve designed a simple breakdown cover comparison table that enables you to see at a glance the latest deals for each level of cover from the top UK providers.
Best breakdown cover providers
|Provider||Roadside||National Recovery||Home Cover||Onward Travel||Annual Cost from|
|GEM Motoring Assist|
AA Breakdown Number: 0800 88 77 66
- Unlimited call-outs
- Up to £5 of free parts for roadside repairs
- Free fuel to keep you going
- Over 2,700 patrols
The AA was founded in 1905 and is the largest breakdown provider in the UK.
Cover levels offered by The AA
The AA offer three membership packages covering a combination of four main cover levels:
- Roadside Assistance: For breakdowns that are a quarter of a mile from home. If a roadside repair cannot be made then the AA will take you and your car to a garage.
- National Recovery: If your car can't be fixed, the AA will take your car and up to 7 passengers to any single UK destination.
- At Home Cover: The AA 'At Home' Cover applies for breakdown repairs at your home and within a quarter of a mile.
- Onward Travel: The AA offer car hire, accommodation or public transport costs if they cannot repair your vehicle and get you moving.
RAC Breakdown Number: 0333 2000 999
- 4 out of 5 vehicles fixed at the roadside within average of 30 min
- All Patrol vans carry over 500 parts and tools
- Recover you if you’re involved in an accident
- Members get a range of exclusive offers
With their Head Office in Birmingham, the RAC were founded in 1897 and have over 8 million members.
Cover levels offered by the RAC
The RAC website enables you to build your own package so that you can create a tailored level of cover for your specific requirements.
- Roadside Assistance: If you breakdown more than a quarter of a mile from your home and your vehicle cannot be repaired, the RAC will tow it and take you and your passengers either to a garage or destination of your choosing up to 10 miles away.
- National Recovery: Similar to the above Roadside Assistance cover except that the RAC will take you and your passengers to anywhere in the UK.
- At Home Cover: For breakdown issues at home or within a quarter of a mile from where you live that cannot be resolved, the RAC will tow your car to a garage or destination of your choice up to 10 miles away.
- Onward Travel: The RAC will organise a hire car for up to 3 days or provide accommodation or public transport costs (£150 per person & £500 in total).
- Key Replace: This optional cover will provide up to £1,500 to replace vehicle or house keys including fitting new locks and resetting your car alarm or immobiliser. Furthermore, they will provide a hire car in the event of you not being able to use your vehicle.
Emergency Assist Breakdown Number: 01945 586228
- Low cost cover without compromising on service
- Bespoke quotation system
- Three different levels of cover
- Over 2,700 patrols
With their own in-house emergency call centre, Emergency Assist have a network of 3,000 agents and manage all recoveries, providing cover for cars, vans and motorcycles.
Cover levels offered by Emergency Assist
Emergency Assist offer three membership packages covering a combination of four main cover levels:
- Roadside Assistance: When your vehicle breaks down more than 1/4 mile from your home address, you will be given up to an hour of roadside assistance.
- National Recovery: If Emergency Assist cannot repair your vehicle at the roadside they will transport you to the nearest garage, your destination or home address.
- Homestart: With the level of cover, Emergency Assist will attend to your vehicle if you suffer a breakdown within quarter of a mile of your home.
- Onward Travel: If your vehicle cannot be repaired at the roadside or in a garage the same day, this cover will provide reimbursement for the driver and up to four passengers to carry on their journey or return home, vehicle hire for one day or overnight accommodation.
QDOS Breakdown Number: 0800 112 4353
- Dual vehicle cover option
- One Call discount option
- QDOS will call your friends to inform them of your delay
- Medical transfer of injured driver (at policy holder expense)
As an insurance intermediary since 2007, QDOS have been offering breakdown cover online since 2007. They offer car, van, motorcycle and fleet cover options.
Cover Levels Offered by QDOS
QDOS offer four different policy options covering a mix of cover levels:
- Roadside Assistance: QDOS will spend up to an hour trying to fix your vehicle.
- Recovery up to 10 miles: QDOS will take you and up to 7 passengers to the nearest garage within 10 miles..
- Nationwide Recovery: QDOS will take the driver and up to 7 passengers either back home or to a garage of your choice in that location.
- Homestart: You will be covered for breakdowns at your home and within a mile of where you live.
StartRescue Breakdown Number: 01206 785999
- 78% of vehicles repaired at the roadside
- Average call answer time 3 seconds
- 425+ Recovery operators in our network
- 5 Star rated mobile apps
Startrescue.co.uk are an award winning breakdown service offering affordable cover. They have a 24 hour control centre and provide a mobile app to help customer report a breakdown problem without making a phone call.
Cover Levels Offered by StartRescue
StartRescue offer multiple levels of cover including:
- Roadside Assistance: Startrescue will send help for breakdowns that are more than a mile away from your home and spend up to an hour trying to fix the problem.
- Nationwide Recovery: Where your car cannot be repaired at the roadside, they will arrange for you, your passengers and your vehicle to be transported either to a garage, your home or original destination (whichever is nearest).
- Home Assist: Your vehicle will be repaired at your home (or within 1 mile of your home).